Fire Alarm Q & A
Is Fire Really a Problem?
Are Smoke Detectors Effective?
The US Fire Administration has the following to say about smoke alarms “In the event of a fire, a smoke alarm can save your life and those of your loved ones. They are the single most important means of preventing house and apartment fire fatalities by providing an early warning signal — so you and your family can escape. Smoke alarms are one of the best safety features you can buy and install to protect yourself, your family and your home.”
FEMA Review Of Deadly Florida House Fire Reflects Importance Of Working Smoke Alarms
Are Fire Systems Required?
The occupancy of a building is determined by how the building or portion of the building is used.
There are different requirements for schools, offices or other types of uses.
Check with your local fire marshal or your alarm company to determine the requirements for your application.
If I Have Smoke Alarms Why Do I Need a Fire System?
Fire detection is often available as part of a complete burglar alarm system. The smoke/heat detectors may be hardwired back to a control unit which can be used to activate a number of reporting devices. Wireless systems are also available.
This type of alarm system has many advantages to protect your life and property including:
- The ability to summon the Fire Department for immediate action whether you are at home or away.
- In a fire alarm system all the component are powered from a control panel that has backup battery power to operate the system in the event of a power failure.
- If one fire sensor picks up a fire all of the notification devices activate to make sure that you know a fire has been detected.
Alarm Initiating Devices and Detectors
A variety of types of detectors can be used to form a complete fire system including:
- Heat Detectors
- fixed temperatures fusible element
- linear detection/heat sensitive cable
- rate of rise detector
- rate compensation detector
- Smoke Detectors
- high sensitivity air sampling
- Optical Flame Detectors
- ultraviolet (UV)
- infrared (IR)
- combination ultraviolet/infrared (UV/IR)
- Manual Stations
- Water flow Switches